Quantcast

Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

vbisbest
It takes literally 8 minutes to send a single http request and return the response.  I have the same code in MonoTouch for iPhone and it takes about 2 seconds.  I saw other people with the same issue on the forums here, but no resolution (although my debugger stays connected).  I am evaluating before purchase and if this is the way it is, this will be a non starter.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or fixes that I am missing.

Thanks,
Ray

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

Mike Child

That's pretty much the way it is if you are using the emulator. Not really anything you can do about it. The android emulator is notoriously slow and google admits it. It has nothing to do with monodroid. Google is emulating the arm instructions so it is much closer to the the phone architecture where as the iPhone simulator is compiled as an x86 app.

On Sep 17, 2011 2:17 PM, "vbisbest" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It takes literally 8 minutes to send a single http request and return the
> response. I have the same code in MonoTouch for iPhone and it takes about 2
> seconds. I saw other people with the same issue on the forums here, but no
> resolution (although my debugger stays connected). I am evaluating before
> purchase and if this is the way it is, this will be a non starter. Please
> let me know if you have any suggestions or fixes that I am missing.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

Sayed Arian Kooshesh
yeah, emulator sucks. debug on your phone, fool.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Mike Child <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's pretty much the way it is if you are using the emulator. Not really
> anything you can do about it. The android emulator is notoriously slow and
> google admits it. It has nothing to do with monodroid. Google is emulating
> the arm instructions so it is much closer to the the phone architecture
> where as the iPhone simulator is compiled as an x86 app.
>
> On Sep 17, 2011 2:17 PM, "vbisbest" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It takes literally 8 minutes to send a single http request and return the
>> response. I have the same code in MonoTouch for iPhone and it takes about
>> 2
>> seconds. I saw other people with the same issue on the forums here, but no
>> resolution (although my debugger stays connected). I am evaluating before
>> purchase and if this is the way it is, this will be a non starter. Please
>> let me know if you have any suggestions or fixes that I am missing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ray
>>

>> --

Extreme Knowledge is not something for which he programs a computer
but for which his computer is programming him.

-Wozniak

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

Jeno
I don't have the same issue with Eclipse and Java. Are you sure the issue is emulator related?

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

Wally McClure
My finding is that MfA debugging on Windows is a pretty poor experience.  This is in VS and MD.  On Mac, the experience is better.  I saw problems at AnDevCon regarding debugging on Windows, but I also hear about fewer issues in eclipse/java.

Wally

> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:50:55 -0800

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mono-android] Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!
>
> I don't have the same issue with Eclipse and Java. Are you sure the issue is
> emulator related?

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

Rhyous
My experience is slow and horrible on Windows regardless of whether I use java and eclipse or m4a and VS 2010.

Jared Barneck
http://www.rhyous.com

My finding is that MfA debugging on Windows is a pretty poor experience.  This is in VS and MD.  On Mac, the experience is better.  I saw problems at AnDevCon regarding debugging on Windows, but I also hear about fewer issues in eclipse/java.

Wally

> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:50:55 -0800

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mono-android] Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!
>
> I don't have the same issue with Eclipse and Java. Are you sure the issue is
> emulator related?

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

devbuzz
I've had a few issues with debugging but in general I'm pretty happy.

However I only debug on a physical device, the emulator is unusable IMO.

mfA ver 4.0 debugging is much faster than the previous version; this improvement plus faster deployment speed are the probably the single biggest thing for me with ver 4.0.

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

dfabri
i too am not having a good debugging experience on windows vs2010 win7 64bit.

i am using the x86 image and it is just so unstable and slow.

can you debug on your phone without buying the product?

i am currently evaluating the runtime and do not want to commit unless i feel that this is a viable solution.  I LOVE WHAT I SEE SO FAR!!!!

just the debugging is awful!

can someone post how to debug on your phone, how does that work against vs2010?

Re: Debugging in VS2010 is unusable!

Jeremy A. Kolb - ARA/NED
You need to purchase the product in order to debug on the phone.

It works pretty well on the phone though inspecting variables can fail sometimes.