Dll Assembly Reference Behaviour

johnHolmes
Hi,

I'm seeing different behaviour when referencing external .dll assembly between Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

I try to explain my "problem" (don't know if it's a real problem or normal behaviour)

Let's say I've got two binding projects, one for iOS and one Android. This sucessfully builds a .dll for handling a native library (facebook sdk for eg.). From now on we call these dlls "binding.dll"

Then I build my Facebook wrapper, so I create two library projects, one for iOS and Android. These library reference the the "binding.dll". From now on we call these dlls "wrapper.dll".

Finally I create two app projects, one for iOS and one for Android. These projects reference the "wrapper.dll". When I build and run the iOS project, all is fine. When I build and run the Android project I get errors. If I add a reference to the "binding.dll" to the Android app project, all si fine again.

Is this expected? Am I missing something?

Projects references hierarchy which works on iOS and won't work on Android

binding assembly

    ------ wrapper assembly

               -------- app assembly

Projects references hierarchy which works on Android

binding assembly

    ------ wrapper assembly
    |           --------

Re: Dll Assembly Reference Behaviour

Jonathan Pryor-2
On Jan 17, 2014, at 7:47 AM, Francesco Colombo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then I build my Facebook wrapper, so I create two library projects, one for iOS and Android. These library reference the the "binding.dll". From now on we call these dlls "wrapper.dll".
>
> Finally I create two app projects, one for iOS and one for Android. These projects reference the "wrapper.dll". When I build and run the iOS project, all is fine. When I build and run the Android project I get errors. If I add a reference to the "binding.dll" to the Android app project, all si fine again.

What are the errors, specifically?

Is your app assembly directly referencing _any_ types that come from the binding assembly? If it is, then this is expected.