Quantcast

Evaluation performance

Serapth
I recently downloaded the trial edition and am keenly interested in using C# the develop for Android, and but I have to say, the the performance is absolutely abysmal. I know from working on Android with Java the emulator is anything but fast but with monodroid it is simply unusable. Even with animations disabled and running an old version of Android the performance was so bad I simply can't imagine anyone is actually developing this way. When running the debugger it was between 15 seconds and several minutes for source to step from line to line.

Like I said I can't imagine people are actually using this for production code, and which leads me to believe people are either not using the debugger, which is jst not an option for me.  Otherwise I assume people are developing on device?

After the initial performance I have seen, no way am I going to take a 400$ gamble that developing on device is better and I have to imagine anyone else that is evaluating is going to be put off by the horribe emulator.  Is it possible you can make the monodroid trial time limited so it can be tried on a device?

To people actually using monodroid for production code, how exactly are you doing it?  Is the emulator performance better on your machine, are you 'living with it" or do you  dev on a physcial device?

Re: Evaluation performance

Matthew Groves
I try to use the emulator as very little as possible.  I write a lot of unit tests so that I'm not hitting the emulator to do manual tests of my business and UI logic.  This is true for me whether I'm deving android or anything else.

I sometimes use the old-timey method of writing runtime debug info with Log.Write and looking at it with adb logcat (ala javascript 'alert' debugging or php 'echo' debugging).  I don't use a device because I mostly work on my 64-bit desktop, and my lousy phone doesn't have a 64 bit driver.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Serapth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nathan Clevenger

We also have several MonoDroid apps in production, and with regards to debugging our team generally always uses a physically device for development and debugging as well as the adb logcat method described below.