Quantcast

Visual Studio 2010 Express

Dennis Quebe

I want to explore this a little more – as in I would like more information. Why doesn’t Mono support Express? I have the below entry from the FAQ, and I understand what you are getting at, but Microsoft supports WP7 in Express (maybe because they own the platform they can do whatever). I am just looking to understand and see if we could lower the barrier to entry – for hobbyist and students. Professional is $545 or something, and that is a steep cost to assume for a market that has the majority of apps for free (or add supported). I have MSDN, so personally it is not a problem, but I would like to see Mono be heavily adopted.

Thanks.

Dennis

On Windows, can I use Visual Studio 2010 Express?

You cannot use Visual Studio 2010 Express, as the express edition does not support plugins so you would not have access to the templates, remote debugging, deployment from Visual Studio.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 Express

Dan Russell
Yes, that's basically it. Microsoft can do what they want. Third-party addins are not supported.

As an alternative, however, you can download a trial version. The trial versions work for 180 days, IIRC.

Dan

Dennis Quebe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I want to explore this a little more - as in I would like more information.
>Why doesn't Mono support Express? I have the below entry from the FAQ, and I
>understand what you are getting at, but Microsoft supports WP7 in Express
>(maybe because they own the platform they can do whatever). I am just
>looking to understand and see if we could lower the barrier to entry - for
>hobbyist and students. Professional is $545 or something, and that is a
>steep cost to assume for a market that has the majority of apps for free (or
>add supported). I have MSDN, so personally it is not a problem, but I would
>like to see Mono be heavily adopted.
>

>Thanks.
>
>Dennis
>

>On Windows, can I use Visual Studio 2010 Express?
>
>You cannot use Visual Studio 2010 Express, as the express edition does not
>support plugins so you would not have access to the templates, remote
>debugging, deployment from Visual Studio.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 Express

Mike Kestner
On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 15:17 -0500, Dennis Quebe wrote:

> I want to explore this a little more – as in I would like more
> information. Why doesn’t Mono support Express? I have the below entry
> from the FAQ, and I understand what you are getting at, but Microsoft
> supports WP7 in Express (maybe because they own the platform they can
> do whatever). I am just looking to understand and see if we could
> lower the barrier to entry – for hobbyist and students. Professional
> is $545 or something, and that is a steep cost to assume for a market
> that has the majority of apps for free (or add supported). I have
> MSDN, so personally it is not a problem, but I would like to see Mono
> be heavily adopted.

It's hard to provide a plugin for something that doesn't support
plugins.  For those looking for an alternative to Visual Studio, we do
have a MonoDevelop addin available on both Windows and Mac.  People
familiar with VS Express should feel at home in MonoDevelop.

--
Mike Kestner <[hidden email]>

Re: Visual Studio 2010 Express

Joseph Hill
> For those looking for an alternative to Visual Studio, we do
> have a MonoDevelop addin available on both Windows and Mac.  People
> familiar with VS Express should feel at home in MonoDevelop.

I have updated the FAQ to reflect this.
http://mono-android.net/FAQ#On_Windows.2c_can_I_use_Visual_Studio_2010_Express.3f

--Joseph

Mono for Android 1.0.0.10258 Deploy

David Junod

Is there anybody that has successfully built even the most simple of the tutorials and seen them running on an actual android device?

I've tried deploying to a Motorola DROID GLOBAL and to a HTC.  The only thing I ever get is a blank black screen with just the Activity Label shown.  The tutorials that I've tried are the simple Hello World and the HelloLinearLayoutActivity.

Does this (Mono for Android) even work???

Thanks!

Re: Visual Studio 2010 Express

Anthonymwheeler
Stop!!!! I no longer wish to receive your email from this domain period!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2011, at 4:29 PM, Dan Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, that's basically it. Microsoft can do what they want. Third-party addins are not supported.
>
> As an alternative, however, you can download a trial version. The trial versions work for 180 days, IIRC.
>
> Dan
>

> Dennis Quebe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I want to explore this a little more - as in I would like more information.
>> Why doesn't Mono support Express? I have the below entry from the FAQ, and I
>> understand what you are getting at, but Microsoft supports WP7 in Express
>> (maybe because they own the platform they can do whatever). I am just
>> looking to understand and see if we could lower the barrier to entry - for
>> hobbyist and students. Professional is $545 or something, and that is a
>> steep cost to assume for a market that has the majority of apps for free (or
>> add supported). I have MSDN, so personally it is not a problem, but I would
>> like to see Mono be heavily adopted.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dennis
>>

>> On Windows, can I use Visual Studio 2010 Express?
>>
>> You cannot use Visual Studio 2010 Express, as the express edition does not
>> support plugins so you would not have access to the templates, remote
>> debugging, deployment from Visual Studio.

Re: Mono for Android 1.0.0.10258 Deploy

Jonathan Pryor
On Apr 21, 2011, at 12:35 AM, David Junod wrote:
> Is there anybody that has successfully built even the most simple of the tutorials and seen them running on an actual android device?

I have them running locally on a Nexus One.

> I've tried deploying to a Motorola DROID GLOBAL and to a HTC.  The only thing I ever get is a blank black screen with just the Activity Label shown.  The tutorials that I've tried are the simple Hello World and the HelloLinearLayoutActivity.

Do you see any errors in the Android Debug Log?

        http://mono-android.net/Documentation/Guides/Android_Debug_Log