Quantcast

Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

12

Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

keef103
After upgrade to 4.2.1 Visual Studio 2010 crashes when I create a new Mono for Android project or when I attempt to open an existing Mono for Android project

I have been running VS 2010 and building and debugging Monodroid projects with no issues.
Then at 4PM EST today (04.12.2012) I went to create a new Mono for Android project and I got a notification that a new version 4.2.1 was available.

I then
1. downloaded the new install using the "click here" in the message
2. closed out of all my VS 2010 sessions
3. Ran the install with no problems

Then when I attempted to either open an existing or create a new Mono project VS crashes, i.e. has encountered a problem and must close.

I tried
4. reboot
- no change
5. Using the same install choose the option to uninstall, then ran again to re-install
- no change
6. Using Control Panel uninstall MonoDevelop and Mono for Android, then reinstall
- no change

I'm not sure what version I was on before - but it must have been a recent one because my original install was on April 25, 2012

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

keef103
Re-reading my post I see I have one technical mistake - when I said "Then at 4PM EST today (04.12.2012)" I put the wrong date I meant May 14, 2012 (05.14.2012 do'h!) which was yesterday. I accidently went back in time (Marty, it's your kids!)

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Saeid Yazdani
I have exactly the same problem. I am also not able to open existing android projects, or even create new ones. But I think I could make a winform project but visual studio vas performing far slower than expected!

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

milop
Use the /Log switch when starting VS. It may help point out the problem.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

dgseeker
I'm seeing the same problem after applying the update -- attempting to open a monodroid project that's been stable for some time now.

I tried the /Log switch, but I'm not seeing anything unusual in the log file (no errors or warnings, just the usual loading sequence info stuff).

But the Application log shows the following exeception:

Application: devenv.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
   at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.OnConnected(System.IAsyncResult)
   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr)
   at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr)
   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(System.Object, IntPtr)
   at System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32, UInt32, System.Threading.NativeOverlapped*)
   at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32, UInt32, System.Threading.NativeOverlapped*)

any thoughts of things to try? can one roll back to the previous version? (I've never tried, don't know if it's available or not)

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

milop
Sorry. Can't help if logging shows nothing. It's gonna have to be a Xamarin question.

But Yes, you can roll back. Just uninstall the latest version (Add/Remove programs) a reinstall the earlier version.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Saeid Yazdani
Please if somone knows a fix to this problem, share it. I describe again: 4.2.1 installed fine with no error during installation. But I am not able to start a new android project or open pervious projects. The visual studio just crashes and restarts itself.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Jonathan Pobst
One thing that can potentially cause this is if you have the Android
preview for the HONEYCOMB api level that was released before Honeycomb
was made final.

ie: if you have a directory like this in your Android SDK, delete it:

...\android-sdk\platforms\android-honeycomb

Jonathan

On 5/15/2012 3:03 PM, Saeid Yazdani wrote:

> Please if somone knows a fix to this problem, share it. I describe again:
> 4.2.1 installed fine with no error during installation. But I am not able to
> start a new android project or open pervious projects. The visual studio
> just crashes and restarts itself.
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://mono-for-android.1047100.n5.nabble.com/Visual-Studio-2010-crashes-when-opening-a-new-or-existing-Mono-for-Android-project-after-upgrade-to-1-tp5709541p5709778.html
> Sent from the Mono for Android mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Saeid Yazdani
No, I dont have that folder in the SDK folder :( Problem should be something else...

P.S: I upgraded to 4.2.1 on my PC and it works just fine, the problem I have is with my laptop...on my laptop I unistalled 4.2.1 and installed 4.0.6 p2 again and it works fine. I really would like to have both my systems on 4.2.1 since I work on my PC when I come back to home after university.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Jonathan Pobst
I do not think there are workarounds for the other causes of this.

We will have to do a 4.2.2 or 4.2.1.1 shortly to address several issues
that have been reported.

Jonathan

On 5/15/2012 3:20 PM, Saeid Yazdani wrote:

> No, I dont have that folder in the SDK folder :( Problem should be something
> else...
>
> P.S: I upgraded to 4.2.1 on my PC and it works just fine, the problem I have
> is with my laptop...on my laptop I unistalled 4.2.1 and installed 4.0.6 p2
> again and it works fine. I really would like to have both my systems on
> 4.2.1 since I work on my PC when I come back to home after university.
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://mono-for-android.1047100.n5.nabble.com/Visual-Studio-2010-crashes-when-opening-a-new-or-existing-Mono-for-Android-project-after-upgrade-to-1-tp5709541p5709782.html
> Sent from the Mono for Android mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Saeid Yazdani
Ok, I'll wait for an update :P For reference, I think this is the error I got from visual studio debugger:

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
  Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  Source=Xamarin.AndroidDesigner
  StackTrace:
       at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.OnConnected(IAsyncResult res)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
       at System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
       at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
  InnerException:

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Jonathan Pobst
Yep, that one has been fixed for the new release.

Jonathan

On 5/15/2012 3:47 PM, Saeid Yazdani wrote:

> Ok, I'll wait for an update :P For reference, I think this is the error I got
> from visual studio debugger:
>
> System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
>    Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
>    Source=Xamarin.AndroidDesigner
>    StackTrace:
>         at
> Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.OnConnected(IAsyncResult res)
>         at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
>         at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
>         at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
> executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean
> ignoreSyncCtx)
>         at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
> executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
>         at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
>         at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result,
> IntPtr userToken)
>         at
> System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32
> errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
>         at
> System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32
> errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
>    InnerException:
>

> --
> View this message in context: http://mono-for-android.1047100.n5.nabble.com/Visual-Studio-2010-crashes-when-opening-a-new-or-existing-Mono-for-Android-project-after-upgrade-to-1-tp5709541p5709784.html
> Sent from the Mono for Android mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

keef103
As per my original post - I did do an Add/Remove and a reinstall (and a reboot).
Also I had a recent version of Mono For Android (my original install was April 25th 2012 so it must have been just the prior release).

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Lluis Sanchez Gual
This will be fixed in the next release. As a workaroud, try adding the java bin directory (the one that contains the 'java' command) to the PATH.

El 15/05/2012, a las 22:47, Saeid Yazdani escribió:

> Ok, I'll wait for an update :P For reference, I think this is the error I got
> from visual studio debugger:
>
> System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
>  Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
>  Source=Xamarin.AndroidDesigner
>  StackTrace:
>       at
> Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.OnConnected(IAsyncResult res)
>       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
>       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
>       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
> executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean
> ignoreSyncCtx)
>       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
> executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
>       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
>       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result,
> IntPtr userToken)
>       at
> System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32
> errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
>       at
> System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32
> errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
>  InnerException:
>

> --
> View this message in context: http://mono-for-android.1047100.n5.nabble.com/Visual-Studio-2010-crashes-when-opening-a-new-or-existing-Mono-for-Android-project-after-upgrade-to-1-tp5709541p5709784.html
> Sent from the Mono for Android mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Rodrigo 'r2d2rigo' Diaz
Deleting the Honeycomb preview worked for me, thanks!

2012/5/16 Lluis Sanchez Gual <[hidden email]>
This will be fixed in the next release. As a workaroud, try adding the java bin directory (the one that contains the 'java' command) to the PATH.

El 15/05/2012, a las 22:47, Saeid Yazdani escribió:

> Ok, I'll wait for an update :P For reference, I think this is the error I got
> from visual studio debugger:
>
> System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
>  Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
>  Source=Xamarin.AndroidDesigner
>  StackTrace:
>       at
> Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.OnConnected(IAsyncResult res)
>       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
>       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
>       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
> executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean
> ignoreSyncCtx)
>       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
> executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
>       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
>       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result,
> IntPtr userToken)
>       at
> System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32
> errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
>       at
> System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32
> errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
>  InnerException:
>

> --
> View this message in context: http://mono-for-android.1047100.n5.nabble.com/Visual-Studio-2010-crashes-when-opening-a-new-or-existing-Mono-for-Android-project-after-upgrade-to-1-tp5709541p5709784.html
> Sent from the Mono for Android mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

Fabrice
Same here, can't open a MFA project without an exception and then VS close

Any ETA on the next release with the fix ?

Thanks
Fabrice

Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException
Exception Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Exception Stack Trace:    at Xamarin.AndroidDesigner.JavaProcessConnection.OnConnected(IAsyncResult res)

vpa

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

vpa
I,ve just the same problem with 4.2.1 but if you ignore the dialog that prompts you to close vs2010 and give focus to vs2010 IDE you can continue with no other problem, writing code, building and deploying!!! That's happens to me. Try this. I hope everyone to be a lucky man like me and do his job with 4.2.1 till 4.2.2 to be released and solve this problem.

Vasilis
Thanks,
Vasilis

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

John Murray
I too have this issue - trouble is I don't get a dialog which allows me to
avoid the issue like Vasilis
At first I did now after a reboot the dialog no longer appears and an empty
project unusable unreadable appears in the solution explorer with the
message
"The project type is not supported by this installation."

All this after I trustingly said yes to the update to 4.2.1 prompt

Any idea of a workaround or ETA for a fix?   I cannot do any work on the
laptop now (fortunately I didn't upgrade the desktop.) Bit of a mess

John Murray

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

John Murray
I noticed in the release notes the following
"NOTE: If you are opening an existing MfA solution, you may need to set it
to Deploy in Build > Configuration Manager."

This seems like a throw away line  ('may' 'need'!!)   but can someone tell
me
a) is this at the root of the  error "The project type is not supported by
this installation."
b)if so please explain how I could set anything to anything if I can't open
the project
c) if that's not what it means then can someone explain in plain English
what one does

John M

Re: Visual Studio 2010 crashes when opening a new or existing Mono for Android project after upgrade to 4.2.1

José M. Rivera
keef103 wrote
After upgrade to 4.2.1 Visual Studio 2010 crashes when I create a new Mono for Android project or when I attempt to open an existing Mono for Android project
I got the same problem but only when I have a device connected before opening the solution. If I disonnect the device and then open Visual Studio it works.
12