problem installing apk in device

javitxin
Hi everyone,

I am new develping apps with mono for android and I am trying to do a full working example.

the problem is that when I try to install my app in my mobile, this tells me that no application was installed.

I have followed all the instructions in

http://android.xamarin.com/index.php?title=Documentation/Guides/Preparing_Package_for_Android_Marketplace&highlight=sign

and looks good until instalation..

I have tested in release mode.. it works.. Then
I have created a private key with keytool..Then
I have edited my project file including my private key as in the example..Then
I have aligned with zipAlign tool..getting just a app file.. Then..
I have copyed to my android phone to install it.

Anyone can help me? please..

Re: problem installing apk in device

topgenorth
How are you copying the APK over to the phone installation?

Are you just copying it, or are you using ADB install?

(that is the old link, the new one is http://docs.xamarin.com/android/tutorials/Preparing_Package_for_Android_Marketplace)

http://www.opgenorth.net

Re: problem installing apk in device

javitxin
I just copyed to my device and try to install through a file manager.

One question.. Before I buid my app with my new keystore, I change my vs2010 project properties in release template and paste that .keystore at the app path. then, I build the app.. is this correct? Is my app built and signed with my private key? I think so..

If you need more details from my build procedure, tell me please.

Thanks.

Re: problem installing apk in device

Jonathan Pryor-2
On Jul 10, 2012, at 2:19 AM, javitxin wrote:
> One question.. Before I buid my app with my new keystore, I change my vs2010 project properties in release template and paste that .keystore at the app path. then, I build the app.. is this correct?

It is a way to go. Whether it's the "best" way is up for debate; not everyone feels safe having their keystore password embedded in the .csproj.

> Is my app built and signed with my private key? I think so..

Yes, your app should be signed with your private key.

Re: problem installing apk in device

topgenorth
What if you install using the Android Debug Bridge?

for example :

adb install myandroidapplication.apk

Also, just to be clear: the device is configured to allow the installation of non-Play apps, correct?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:19 AM, javitxin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just copyed to my device and try to install through a file manager.

One question.. Before I buid my app with my new keystore, I change my vs2010
project properties in release template and paste that .keystore at the app
path. then, I build the app.. is this correct? Is my app built and signed
with my private key? I think so..

If you need more details from my build procedure, tell me please.

Thanks.

http://www.opgenorth.net

Re: problem installing apk in device

javitxin
Thanks.. it worked.. but when opening the app it crashes...saying

"la aplicacion se ha interrumpido inesperadamente. Intentalo de nuevo.", tralating..

"the application has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

My android firmware is 2.1 updated. And my developed app has sdk 7 and api level 7... is this correct?

¿anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

Re: problem installing apk in device

topgenorth
Yes, API level 7 is Android 2.1, so that shouldn't be the problem.

The next best thing is to view logcat output. You can do this with either DDMS or adb logcat. Startup your application and then start reading the output.  It might be helpful to add some Log.Debug statements at strategic points in your code too.

On Jul 11, 2012, at 8:51 AM, javitxin wrote:
> Thanks.. it worked.. but when opening the app it crashes...saying
> "the application has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

If you open the Android Debug Log:

        http://docs.xamarin.com/android/advanced_topics/android_debug_log

You will likely see a message such as:

        Unable to find application Mono.Android.DebugRuntime...

Debug .apk packages cannot run as-is; they require additional packages to be installed (in order to reduce the size of the Debug .apk). When you install using `adb install`, the other packages don't get installed, resulting in an app that won't launch.

If you can't install your app using the IDE, then you should instead attempt to install Debug packages using MSBuild or xbuild (on OS X):

        cd path\to\your\project
        MSBuild /t:Install YourProject.csproj

See also:

        http://docs.xamarin.com/android/advanced_topics/build_process#Build_Targets

You can only use `adb install` to install Release packages.

Re: problem installing apk in device

javitxin
I found the problem. When using sharetime runtime, the app is not able to run in a device..

Thanks!