Quantcast

x86 Android

Gabe Codina

Hi

The main block for experimenting with Monodroid for me has been the emulator is unusable on my machine (5 yo laptop)  however the other day I followed these instructions http://geeknizer.com/install-android-froyo-on-pc/ and I can now run froyo in Virtualbox which is far better than the emulator – my questions to this group are:

Is anyone here working with x86 Android

Is it possible to use this in place of the emulator

Is monodroid compatible with x86 Android

Thank you

Gabe

Re: x86 Android

Jonathan Pobst
The next release of Mono for Android should support x86, so you might
want to wait just a little bit more before you give this a spin.  ;)

Jonathan

On 1/5/2012 6:34 PM, Gabe Codina wrote:

> Hi
>
> The main block for experimenting with Monodroid for me has been the
> emulator is unusable on my machine (5 yo laptop) however the other day I
> followed these instructions
> http://geeknizer.com/install-android-froyo-on-pc/ and I can now run
> froyo in Virtualbox which is far better than the emulator – my questions
> to this group are:
>
> Is anyone here working with x86 Android
>
> Is it possible to use this in place of the emulator
>
> Is monodroid compatible with x86 Android
>
> Thank you
>
> Gabe

Re: x86 Android

Alex Soto
Hey Gabe, this was discussed a few weeks ago by Jon and Wally, I'm copy/pasting the info

Alex

On Nov 13, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Wally McClure wrote:
He thinks that an apk file is cpu independent due to java apps being cross platform.  I'm not sure if thats true or not.  Anyway, questions:

No. The .apk file is a ZIP package that can contain native shared libraries, and libmonodroid.so is a native shared library. Just because it's a .apk does not mean it's cross platform (just as being Java does not make it cross-platform; see also `native` methods and the fact that `android.jar` doesn't run elsewhere yet ;-)

   • Does m4a support x86 android? I was under the impression it did not at this time.

Not at this time.

   • Do the Xamarin guys think that they can/will support x86 android in the future?

Maybe. :-)

It's being looked into. I can't promise anything at this point in time.

   • isn't google tv x86?

Yes.

   • Any thoughts regard the x86 marketplace for android, besides the fact it barely exists?

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/10/2553406/logitech-ceo-google-tv-cost-us-dearly-no-revue-replacement-coming

:-)

I'm sure it'll be there eventually, it's just not there yet.

As for Xamarin priorities, getting 2.0 out the door with support for Android v4.0 is our highest priority. After 2.0 is out, lots of things are under investigation.

- Jon

El 05/01/2012, a las 06:34 p.m., Gabe Codina <[hidden email]> escribió:

Hi

The main block for experimenting with Monodroid for me has been the emulator is unusable on my machine (5 yo laptop)  however the other day I followed these instructions http://geeknizer.com/install-android-froyo-on-pc/ and I can now run froyo in Virtualbox which is far better than the emulator – my questions to this group are:

Is anyone here working with x86 Android

Is it possible to use this in place of the emulator

Is monodroid compatible with x86 Android

Thank you

Gabe

Re: x86 Android

Alex Soto
Woow excellent news Jon, by having MfA x86 support, it means we might
be able to target Google TV??

Alex

El 05/01/2012, a las 06:45 p.m., Jonathan Pobst <[hidden email]> escribió:

> The next release of Mono for Android should support x86, so you might
> want to wait just a little bit more before you give this a spin.  ;)
>
> Jonathan
>

> On 1/5/2012 6:34 PM, Gabe Codina wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The main block for experimenting with Monodroid for me has been the
>> emulator is unusable on my machine (5 yo laptop) however the other day I
>> followed these instructions
>> http://geeknizer.com/install-android-froyo-on-pc/ and I can now run
>> froyo in Virtualbox which is far better than the emulator – my questions
>> to this group are:
>>
>> Is anyone here working with x86 Android
>>
>> Is it possible to use this in place of the emulator
>>
>> Is monodroid compatible with x86 Android
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Gabe

Re: x86 Android

Jonathan Pobst
You *can*, but there won't be bindings for the Google TV libraries, so I
don't know how useful it will be.

Jonathan

On 1/5/2012 6:48 PM, Alex Soto wrote:

> Woow excellent news Jon, by having MfA x86 support, it means we might
> be able to target Google TV??
>
> Alex
>

> El 05/01/2012, a las 06:45 p.m., Jonathan Pobst<[hidden email]>  escribió:
>
>> The next release of Mono for Android should support x86, so you might
>> want to wait just a little bit more before you give this a spin.  ;)
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

>> On 1/5/2012 6:34 PM, Gabe Codina wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The main block for experimenting with Monodroid for me has been the
>>> emulator is unusable on my machine (5 yo laptop) however the other day I
>>> followed these instructions
>>> http://geeknizer.com/install-android-froyo-on-pc/ and I can now run
>>> froyo in Virtualbox which is far better than the emulator – my questions
>>> to this group are:
>>>
>>> Is anyone here working with x86 Android
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use this in place of the emulator
>>>
>>> Is monodroid compatible with x86 Android
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Gabe

Re: x86 Android

Wally McClure
Is it possible that when a we get the 3rd party library support and the x86 support, we'll have the two pieces necessary for Gtv support?

Wally

> Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 18:54:50 -0600

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [mono-android] x86 Android
>
> You *can*, but there won't be bindings for the Google TV libraries, so I
> don't know how useful it will be.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On 1/5/2012 6:48 PM, Alex Soto wrote:
> > Woow excellent news Jon, by having MfA x86 support, it means we might
> > be able to target Google TV??
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > El 05/01/2012, a las 06:45 p.m., Jonathan Pobst<[hidden email]> escribió:
> >
> >> The next release of Mono for Android should support x86, so you might
> >> want to wait just a little bit more before you give this a spin. ;)
> >>
> >> Jonathan

Re: x86 Android

Jonathan Pryor-2
On Jan 5, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Wally McClure wrote:
> Is it possible that when a we get the 3rd party library support and the x86 support, we'll have the two pieces necessary for Gtv support?

Depending on how you define "support," you'll have GTV support once we have x86 support. (You can use JNIEnv/etc. to manually bind the GTV APIs you need. This would be painful, but doable.)

Re: x86 Android

Wally McClure
Yeah, I was trying to go beyond the JNI requirement and trying to get something to work without too much pain. Smile

Wally